5 Superfoods of Summer
Summer is a great time to put superfoods center stage in your diet. Superfoods are designated as such because of their powerful antioxidant content and disease-fighting properties. Here are a few that are now in season and make especially good additions to your diet during the warmer months:
1. Cantaloupe – Rich with Potassium, Fiber, Folate, Beta Carotene and Vitamin C, Cantaloupe can lower your cholesterol and keep your blood pressure under control.
2. Cherries – Cherries contain Flavonoids, Fiber, Potassium and traces of Vitamins A and C. They are known to fight inflammation, arthritis, gout and possibly cancer.
3. Cucumbers – Cucumbers provide Vitamin C, Silica, Potassium, and Magnesium. Minerals in cucumber hydrates and helps reduce excess water weight.
4. Figs – Figs contain more fiber than any other fruit or vegetable. They are loaded with minerals and nutrients to help fend off heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
5. Grapes – Grapes contain Polyphenols which act as antioxidants and protect you from heart disease and cancer. They also contain Fiber, vitamins and minerals like Potassium, Calcium, Manganese and Iron.
Do you eat these Superfoods? What is your favorite way to prepare them? Tweet with us @SWCCLasVegas and share with your community!